Making them up as I go (2)

1. Tell the truth.
2. Entice, or fail.
3. To emphasize, summarize.
4. If it ain't short, it don't work.
5. Be clear.


And so I don't forget:
Don't explain. Just tell a story.
Don't argue. Just say things that make sense.
Expect people to be bored by the writing, and shorten it.
Make the wording easy to take.

Remove Loose Ends -- the interesting one-liners that go nowhere.

Thursday, August 6, 2020

Dashing!

Swear to god, the first time I saw this I thought they meant HOW to RUT them, and wondered What's a FREE TURN anyway? It sounds like something you'd get in a video game, not on a lawn mower:


That's why god invented the dash. RUT-FREE TURNS, DAMMIT. RUT-FREE, not RUT FREE.

2 comments:

The Arthurian said...

Sure, I figured it out. But it's not the reader's job to figure out what the writer is trying to say. It's the writer's job to be clear.

Michael Leddy said...

Given the subject matter, I’d say it’s a perfect garden-path sentence (or sentence fragment).