Making them up as I go (2)

1. Tell the truth.
2. Entice, or fail.
3. To emphasize, summarize.
4. If it ain't short, it don't work.
5. Be clear.


And so I don't forget:
Don't explain. Just tell a story.
Don't argue. Just say things that make sense.
Expect people to be bored by the writing, and shorten it.
Make the wording easy to take.

Remove Loose Ends -- the interesting one-liners that go nowhere.

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Get rid of the comma


Times change. Language changes. It's a hard thing to watch. Personally, I think it's related to the decline of civilization. But I guess people always say that as they get older.

One comma so far.

I like to stick commas in things. I like to stick parenthetical expressions in things -- it adds depth and texture to the text. Since I started blogging I do a lot more with dashes and parentheses in addition to offsetting phrases with commas. I think the three styles offer three levels of emphasis: dashes are more emphatic than commas, and parentheses less emphatic. Texture in the text.

Two commas so far.

But times change and people have largely eliminated commas from their thinking. I don't know how that works or where it came from. But you have to cooperate with people if you want them to read your stuff. See, I want to put a comma after "But times change" and another one after "how that works" and another one right here, but I won't do it.

Oops.

Still, it might have been more effective if those last five words were a separate sentence. But I won't do it.

2 comments:

opit said...

Once Upon a Time commas were used so that one reading aloud knew when to take a breath. It is a device to provide both emphasis and continuity.

The Arthurian said...

Hi Opit.

Hey, where does the pause go when one uses the word "but"?

I would always do
Yadda yadda yadda comma but yadda yadda yadda.

But nobody does that any more. I noticed it first with Mr. Worf on Star Trek Next Gen. He would always jam the "but" onto the end of the first part and then have a huge pause before the rest.

I hoped for a while it was a Klingon thing, but no.

I hoped for a while it was a Klingon thing but,.... No.

Nope. It's the decline of civilization.

But in truth I often do find myself removing a few commas when I review my stuff before posting. One doesn't have to pause for breath as often as my first draft usually allows.