Making them up as I go (2)

1. Tell the truth.
2. Entice, or fail.
3. To emphasize, summarize.
4. If it ain't short, it don't work.
5. Be clear.


And so I don't forget:
Don't explain. Just tell a story.
Don't argue. Just say things that make sense.
Expect people to be bored by the writing, and shorten it.
Make the wording easy to take.

Remove Loose Ends -- the interesting one-liners that go nowhere.

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Secrets of a master

I've said it before: People don't just like Paul Krugman or dislike him. They love the guy or hate him. His writing evokes strong responses, because his writing is so effective.

I try to write that well, of course.

Krugman offers a few thoughts on his writing style in yesterday's But, And, Why.

1. informality.

2. "One thing that helps, I’ve found, is to give the writing a bit of a forward rush, with a kind of sprung or syncopated rhythm, which often involves sentences that are deliberately off center." (I don't know what that means.)

3. "as conversational a tone as I can manage."

"My bible in all this," he writes, "is George Orwell’s Politics and the English Language."

Okay.

No comments: