Making them up as I go (2)

1. Tell the truth.
2. Entice, or fail.
3. To emphasize, summarize.
4. If it ain't short, it don't work.
5. Be clear.


And so I don't forget:
Don't explain. Just tell a story.
Don't argue. Just say things that make sense.
Expect people to be bored by the writing, and shorten it.
Make the wording easy to take.

Remove Loose Ends -- the interesting one-liners that go nowhere.

Friday, August 2, 2019

A gardening tip



They say "it prefers partial to full shade". Do they mean "it prefers partial shade to full shade", or do they mean "it prefers partial *or* full shade (as opposed to full sun)" ??

To me the words mean the first of those, but I think they mean the second.

1 comment:

Michael Leddy said...

I, too, think it means the second. If it preferred partial only, you could say “it prefers partial shade,” meaning only that, not full shade, not full sun. If either kind of shade will do, “or” would make that clearer.