Making them up as I go (2)

1. Tell the truth.
2. Entice, or fail.
3. To emphasize, summarize.
4. If it ain't short, it don't work.
5. Be clear.


And so I don't forget:
Don't explain. Just tell a story.
Don't argue. Just say things that make sense.
Expect people to be bored by the writing, and shorten it.
Make the wording easy to take.

Remove Loose Ends -- the interesting one-liners that go nowhere.

Friday, June 7, 2019

Again with the soaker hoses

Apparently, you need or may need lots of special fittings for a soaker hose installation: backflow preventer, pressure regulator, filter, maybe more. I've been reading up. At one site they say
Always ensure that the hose is kink free as this will block water flow.
Yeah, I know what they mean. They mean that a kink will block the water flow. But what they say is that a kink-free hose will block the water flow.

I like careless writing like that because it is often funny. But I pay attention to careless writing like that because I want my writing to be most careful.

No comments: