Making them up as I go (2)

1. Tell the truth.
2. Entice, or fail.
3. To emphasize, summarize.
4. If it ain't short, it don't work.
5. Be clear.


And so I don't forget:
Don't explain. Just tell a story.
Don't argue. Just say things that make sense.
Expect people to be bored by the writing, and shorten it.
Make the wording easy to take.

Remove Loose Ends -- the interesting one-liners that go nowhere.

Friday, April 20, 2018

Quick! What's this sentence about?

From How inequalities of wealth matter for consumption by Nick Bunker:
A person would only change his or her consumption patterns if his or her lifetime income changed, but wouldn’t change his or her spending much if he or she experienced a temporary increase or decrease in spending.
First reaction: The sentence seems to be about gender politeness.
Second reaction: I'm not reading any more of that.

2 comments:

Michael Leddy said...

Aside from the repetition — how do you change consumption patterns on the basis of lifetime income? How can you know that number and still have time to do much spending? And if you experience a temporary increase or decrease in spending, you've already changed your spending, no?

The Arthurian said...

Michael, you may not know it, but you are questioning the wisdom of Milton Friedman. Good job! If there is anyone whose wisdom needs to be questioned, it is Friedman.

Before I could reply to you I had to go back and read the Nick Bunker article that I said I wouldn't read. Once I got past the "repetition" it was more interesting than I thought.

The sentence I quoted is part of a "simplified" version of Friedman's “permanent income” hypothesis which says, as I stretch it, that it doesn't help the economy to give money to poor people. But the article looks at a new study and reports that "moving resources from the top 20 percent to the bottom 80 percent of households would boost total consumption in the economy by between 3 percent to 4 percent."

In other words, giving money to poor people DOES help the economy. ("Resources" = money)

Shame on me for poking fun at one of Nick Bunker's sentences before I figured out what he was trying to say.