Making them up as I go (2)

1. Tell the truth.
2. Entice, or fail.
3. To emphasize, summarize.
4. If it ain't short, it don't work.
5. Be clear.


And so I don't forget:
Don't explain. Just tell a story.
Don't argue. Just say things that make sense.
Expect people to be bored by the writing, and shorten it.
Make the wording easy to take.

Remove Loose Ends -- the interesting one-liners that go nowhere.

Thursday, July 20, 2017

Michael Connelly on writing

From an interview:
... for me writing is all about finding momentum and keeping it. When your word count is 0, it’s much harder than when your word count is 60,000. I get up to write while it’s still dark, 5 or 5:30. I start by editing and rewriting everything I did the day before, and that gives some momentum for the day. I get to new territory when the sun is coming up. I take a break to take my daughter to school—actually she just started driving, so I take a break to have breakfast with her. Then I get back to it. If it’s early in a book, I’ll only write til lunch, because it can be hard for me to get that momentum going. If it’s late in a book and really flowing, I’ll just keep writing and writing, until I’m either too tired or have been called to dinner.

2 comments:

Michael Leddy said...

Nice to have that someone who makes dinner.

The Arthurian said...

Hi Michael. I regularly get up an hour or two before Connelly does, begin my day by reviewing the previous day's writing, and write until the lawn needs mowing. Or (come to think of it) until the missus calls me to dinner. I know for a fact that none of those things guarantees writing success.

But you are right: It's nice to have that someone who makes dinner.