Making them up as I go (2)

1. Tell the truth.
2. Entice, or fail.
3. To emphasize, summarize.
4. If it ain't short, it don't work.
5. Be clear.


And so I don't forget:
Don't explain. Just tell a story.
Don't argue. Just say things that make sense.
Expect people to be bored by the writing, and shorten it.
Make the wording easy to take.

Remove Loose Ends -- the interesting one-liners that go nowhere.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Making them up as I go (1)

These rules were originally in text above the posts. I'm moving them into a post, and starting a new set of rules. This set got too long. Thanks.

1. Tell the truth.
2. Don't just make notes. Write paragraphs.
3. If Gibbs can have rules, so can I.
4. Take out the tangents.
5. Let's not use Let's...
6. I'm not quite surprised. I'm surprised.
7. Use few words.
8. Very true: I don't need very.
9. Avoid And. And you often don't need it. And it interferes with meaning and flow. And so on.
10. The word "whether" means "whether or not." Drop the "or not."
11. Don't explain. Just tell a story.
12. Don't argue. Just say things that make sense.
14. Approach the writing as if people will be bored by it. Make it as brief and clear as possible.
15. To emphasize, summarize.
16. Add what seems right, then remove what seems wrong.
17. If if doesn't come easy, get rid of it.
18. Is it interesting?
19. If it ain't short, it don't work.
20. My thoughts focus. They don't "really focus."
21. Introduce the idea first, then make the case.
22. Entice, or fail.
23. Generalizations are always wrong.
24. I don't "would say" something. I say it.
25. Distinguish your conclusions by following them with a separator graphic or a new heading.
26. Skip that part.

No comments: